Friday, July 31, 2009

Back to School Not-so-update...

Well looks like me going back to school isn't going to happen. I would love to but I definitely can't afford it. Plus, here's the catch with the Radiology Tech program: I'll have to take pre-reques which I had planned on and remedial math which I planned on also. But I tested out of Reading and I already took an English class at Fort Lewis so I wouldn't have to take that class. But I can't take Biology until I've take the Math so I wouldn't be able to do that until the Spring. But the school interviews for the Rad Tech program in April and I wouldn't be ready then to do the interview, so technically I wouldn't be eligible for the program until Spring 2011 and wouldn't be able to start the program until Fall 2011. And, there's always the possibility I wouldn't pass the interview because they only have 9 spots available each year then all those pre-reques would be a waste. Then, I would have to be a full-time student if I was accepted into the program, meaning I'd have to quit my job. And I don't think I could even get an evening job because they require internships and clincs that could be overnight. Plus, I don't want to work at night...

So then I looked into a Paralegal program but Pueblo CC doesn't offer that in Durango. Which honestly it was my first choice. Anyway I could take a Paralegal program online, but holy smokes do you know how much online school is?? One I looked at was $63,000!! I could go to a tangible school for less than half of that cost, INCLUDING living expenses.

It's completely bogus. How can I go to school if they're going to make it so damn difficult?? I've hit a wall. Maybe we need to move somewhere where they have a bigger school that's flexible. Isn't that the point of community college? Flexibility? That's what I always thought, but apparently not.

And I guess honestly I would quit my job and be a full time student if I could afford it. But there aren't too many corners I can cut. I'd need my computer and internet for school. And I need my phone, and trash service. The only thing I could afford to not have would be TV, which would give like an extra $70/month. We already have cheap rent for Durango, and I have animals so I can't move into a cheaper apartment or anything. I think I just have to live in small towns the rest of my life where it doesn't matter if you've gone to college or not... Which I don't want to live somewhere heavily populated anyway, so I guess that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment