Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"I'm Grateful for the Crying"

So I don't know what's up, but lately Greyson's been really putting all his effort into fighting taking naps, even though he's way tired. He cries and whines and fusses about it. Yesterday was terrible! He'll be seven months tomorrow and he's never made me break down but I sure did yesterday. And to top it off we weren't even home, we were watching Kemper yesterday so it was a really bad time for me to give up. He just wouldn't go to sleep. So yep, I cried about it. I was about one good baby-wail away from calling Beth and telling her "I'm sorry, but you need to come home". I didn't know what to do! He's refusing his pacifier, refusing to nurse, refusing to cuddle, etc... all these things that would put him out like a light are failing! So just now it was time for his mid-morning nap (he still naps every 2 or 3 hours) and he wouldn't stop crying, and I just can't let him cry it out alone. So I'm sitting in the room with him, just watching him cry and feeling the knot in my stomach that you get when you're a mom and you don't know what to do, when I realized that I'm grateful for the crying. There's plenty of would-be mommies who would kill for my opportunity to struggle with a crying baby. And right after I mentally said "I'm grateful for the crying.", a funny thing happened: he stopped. He just turned his head, closed his eyes, and started humming.

So, that's today's lesson.

2 comments:

  1. that was beautiful! Crying is a beautiful thing. Cant wait to see him in 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry! I would have come home in an instant! And I had lots of days like that last year. A LOT. Some nights or days I had to just put him in his crib, let him cry while I took a breather. But I love how you turned it around. Stay positive :]

    ReplyDelete